Here is a much delayed post! The past few weeks have been incredibly busy for us, and unfortunately we don't have many photos to document it. Two weekends ago I went to Austin, TX to meet some of my close Miami friends for a girls weekend, it was a lot of fun. Among the things we saw and did was some pretty impressive Texas-style BBQ.
| The famous Salt Lick BBQ in Austin |
Last weekend we had our first house guests! Our good friends Carlos and Diana visited us from Mexico City. We had a great time out in Dallas, and hope to visit them in the next few months--its only about 2 hour flight from us now. We had a very American weekend, Diana and I shopped and Carlos and David watched football. We also had some very American food including In-N-Out Burger, Rudy's BBQ--truck stop BBQ, and Stampede 66--"Modern Texas Cuisine".
Fortunately David had the day before and after Thanksgiving off from work. That gave us a little time to get some things done in our house. Tuesday evening we had our new furniture delivered, and David tackled his first of many Ikea projects by putting together our media console.
After much furniture shopping we ended up ordering two sofas and an ottoman. We knew we wanted very light colored sofas, and I wanted the impossible combination of stain-proof fabric with no chemicals. We managed to find a winner with this Sunbrella material. Lucy has already jumped on the sofa with her dirty feet and it wiped right off with a little water. I doubt anyone is even moderately interested in hearing about my attempts to make our house as chemical/low VOC-emitting as possible, however I am going to explain it anyways. Sunbrella has the stain-resistance woven into the fabric rather than sprayed on top, and it's super durable (you can clean it with bleach!) without emitting the harsh toxins throughout our home for years. With the help of our friend Lauren who is a designer at a furniture store in Chicago, we picked out this comfy set.
We successfully made it through our first thanksgiving in Texas. Fortunately, it was warm enough that we had it outside. We ordered a pre-roasted turkey, so we would be able to go out in the morning and do a Turkey Trot and not have to worry about leaving the oven on. The oven is definitely older than David or I, probably from the late 1970s. There is a setting on the front to use if you are cooking "fresh pork" or a "two-crust pie". Anyways, the "pre-roasted turkey" ended up taking about 2.5 hours, and I had plenty of time to make all of the other necessities.
Today I am working on my most-dreaded-paper-of-the-semester for my multivariate statistics class, David is undertaking the mother of all Ikea projects, and Lucy is sleeping off her turkey-hangover.
| 9 boxes and hundreds of screws |
| too.much.turkey. |
No comments:
Post a Comment